July 8, 2013

A Quick Homemade Ice Cream

Did you know that you can basically combine cream and jam, freeze it, and you have a great homemade ice cream?


Okay, so I would recommend an actual ice cream maker, too, and a little alcohol (for texture!).  But that's it!  No egg custard or standing over the stove in a cloud of steam for twenty minutes in the dead of summer.


I found this novel idea within the pages of Bruce Weinstein's The Ultimate Ice Cream Book, which is as the name promises.  All of the basics are there, but so are unusual flavor combinations and many ideas to build on.  I am also lucky enough to have received several jars of the best-ever homemade apricot jam from my Aunt Lynne (the very same Aunt Lynne responsible for the gingersnaps at Thanksgiving time), and one recent evening I thought a bowl of apricot ice cream would be nice.


Lo and behold, there the recipe was...just sitting there between Maple Ice Cream and Mint.  Twenty minutes later, I had my bowlful of apricot ice cream.  Sans stove.  As soon as my ice cream canister was frozen again, I made some blueberry.


QUICK JAM ICE CREAM
  • 1/2 pint jam of your choosing (or marmalade)
  • 2 T. liquor of choice, like whiskey for nuance or vodka for clean flavor
  • 1 pint half and half

Stir together all ingredients in a medium bowl (or large pitcher for easy pouring).  I used a whisk to break up the jam, but left fruit pieces whole for texture.

Pour into ice cream maker and freeze accordingly.  Scoop ice cream into storage container and put into the actual freezer.  No need to wait for anything, though, serve yourself a generous scoop while making the transfer.

The ice cream will be a little soft at first, but also will not harden completely after an overnight freeze, due to the alcohol.  This means you can have it for breakfast without having to wait for it to thaw first.  See?  I take care of you.


No comments:

Post a Comment