October 28, 2013

Trick or Treat

I actually did the impossible this year.


I ate enough Halloween candy that I got sick. Of candy.  I was always told as a child that if I ate too much candy, I would feel sick.  But no matter how much candy I ever ate, I never felt sick or crazy or even full.  Until now.

I have always loved candy.  Any and all allowance I received (earned!) as a child was well spent on all the candy I could afford.  It should also be mentioned that purchasing my own candy was the only way I could get it.  We did not have a sugar-free household, but sugary cereals and soda were not allowed and cookies had to be baked from scratch.  My mother was never fond of baking, so it's not a shocker that I started baking cookies as soon as I was allowed to use the oven.


A few years ago I started making my own candy, as a few of you readers know.  It's a fun, though precise, endeavor and I surprise myself that I have only posted a handful of my own recipes on this site. I like making my own candy, not only because I can always have some around, but also because I can completely control the ingredients.  I can skip the corn syrup (much easier said than done), use sustainably-sourced sugars and such (yep, that's expensive), and create pretty much any flavor I choose (that's the fun part!).

Needless to say, the only time I have store-bought, big-brand candy around is for Halloween. You would think that by now, I would buy the candies I don't like so that I won't eat it.  But it's kind of like promising myself I'll take care of something "in the morning before work."  It's just never going to happen.  Also, this cheap, junky candy is actually very expensive.  If I'm buying close to thirty dollars of candy to give out to the little jerks that terrorize my block, I'm getting something I like.  So there.


This year, I liked the candy so much that I just about binged on it.  I'm not proud, but I'm also not ashamed.  I work in public service and on occasion have the "opportunity to improve" by having "crucial conversations" with "difficult" customers.  I walk a lot and work out and burn calories. I brush my teeth regularly and even floss on occasion. I currently run a household in which sugary cereals and sodas make rare appearances.

The point is that the treats did their trick!  I have had my fill and no longer want tons of candy.  And there is still plenty left for the trick-or-treaters.  Yay me!  And now I hope the kids take the rest of it off my hands before my appetite comes back. But I don't think that will be a problem - I have a lifelong-developed taste in candy and I get the good stuff. Happy Halloween!


No comments:

Post a Comment