March 21, 2013

Dim Sum, or, Instant Gratification

Empress Seafood Restaurant, "The Empress," is an established Chinese restaurant on East Alameda in Denver.

Shrimp dumplings.


They serve dim sum, which I had never had before, starting at 10:30am every day.  So when some friends and I were deciding where to get brunch the other day, The Empress was our choice.


Mushrooms stuffed with shrimp.


I was overwhelmed at first, having been given both list-form and pictorial menus with what seemed like over a hundred choices.


Turnip cakes.


It turns out it doesn't matter.  As soon as you decided to start, waitstaff come to your table and unload item after item, and it's all fresh, hot, and instant.  We selected at least ten different items and we each got to try everything we were curious about.


Shrimp (and cilantro) fritters.


Being picky about the meat that I eat, we selected many shrimp and seafood and vegetable items.  Most every dish had "shrimp paste" in it, which isn't really a paste at all, but chunks of shrimp stuffed into various wrappers and encasements.


Shrimp and sugar cane balls.  Kind of like drumsticks.


We also had plenty of tea and excellent service.  All for $12 each, including tip.  Yum!  I can't wait to go back and have dim sum for brunch again.

2 comments:

  1. I've only been to dim sum once, at Star Kitchen. My only complaint was that the people I was with didn't want to gorge themselves as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that going with four people is about ideal. That way you get to try more items, which tend to come with three-four pieces. It's perfect.

    ReplyDelete